Sunday, June 08, 2008

21 MONTH DAY!

Yesterday was your official 21 month day. As I have said before, I'm not sure how much longer these month day updates will be appropriate, should I stop at 24? 36? 540? I don't know how much inside scoop I'll have about you when you are 45 years old, I do hope however that I no longer need to put zinc on your butt. But of course I would if you needed me to.
This month there haven't been that many changes around here, but one major one that I have noticed is that you seem to have figured out that this whole "hermanita" business is not going to work out to your advantage. I never try to push you into talking about it, but I have noticed when the topic comes up (like when other people ask) you tend to clam up a bit. And the other day in the bath tub you came right out and said that you did not want a little sister. I know that in time you'll change your mind, or if not that, at least realize that having a sister is going to be just like having the primas around all the time, infuriating and wonderful.
Besides the anti-hermana sentiment that you've been feeling, you've also been having a bit of a hard time in general. You are entering that magical stage known as the terrible 2s. I have to say, you have definitely not been terrible, but you are learning (very quickly) how to work a room, manipulate your parents, and that when all else fails crying is always the nuclear option. You have started "fake" crying to see if it'll work in certain situations. One of the pictures from the last post was in mid-fake cry. When you aren't getting what you want, you have started testing us out and seeing if blowing a fuse won't get you what you're after. Most of the time it doesn't work, but I must admit for the sake of the integrity of this blog, sometimes, it's just not worth a fight with you, so we give you what you want, but not before we ask you to stop crying and ask the "right way". Which you used to interpret to mean shouting out what you wanted in very. pointed. syllables. Now you understand it means saying please. Which you still say with a hand over your mouth, I think because you just do not like to be polite. You find it beneath you.
The other thing you've started which I actually find pretty funny is you'll ask for something, and kind of mumble or say it really quietly, and then when I repeat what you said you'll shout OK! Like it was my idea to offer you a marshmallow. Because it's amusing to me, you usually get your way.
We keep you around despite your new found gift of whine because you just keep getting sweeter and sweeter every day. You will spontaneously come up to me (or papa) and give me a huge hug, or climb up on the couch and just snuggle in. I can't go to the bathroom without you barging in to make sure of where I am, and when you see me, you climb up my underware and sit on my non-existent lap for a kiss. It's very endearing. You show such concern when you think I might be in danger, like when I'm making juice or grinding coffee beans. You run into the kitchen from where ever you are playing just to make sure everything is alright. When you see that the juicer is not a chainsaw, and I am in fact ok, you go back to playing but not too far away this time. We have been having such a great time together these last few months, especially now that the weather is nice, that I really do feel bittersweet about our last months together as only child and mama of one. I love our days together, going to the park, the store, reading books, looking at pictures, listening to music, playing games, taking naps and just being together. Not much different then when you were a teeny little peanut, but I've learned to relax (slightly) and relish almost every minute rather than obsess over every little thing. (I still obsess, but hopefully over bigger things like when, dear Lord, when will you start eating delicious meat, and not over if whether your socks are the right kind)
You are such a smart, thoughtful, sensitive little boy, I sometimes just marvel at how you came to be. You can be quite the contradiction, but that is something that makes you so unique. You are both shy and outgoing, rambunctious and reserved, sweet and a stinker. You'll play with your primas and primos and friends at the park, running around laughing and screaming like a loon, and then sit quietly in your room for an hour play acting with your dinosaurs asking each one how they are doing today. You will play and talk with other people in our building, or walk right into someone else's yard at abuela's house, but when someone starts speaking to you in English, you become very quiet and usually look to me or papa to let you know that we're right beside you. You sometimes get so excited that you start jumping and squirming and kicking and squeezing really hard, but if I say no that hurts mama, you get upset and need and need a hug of reassurance. You need to know that it's ok to get excited but hurting others is not. But no matter what, even if you do get over excited, mama still loves you no matter what.
I know that bringing in a new entity into your world is going to be an enormous change. I feel that a lot of these changes in you are partly do to the fact that you sense that something is coming, and you need extra comfort and reassurance. And Papa and I try really hard to do this as much as we can.
Even if it's really hard at first, and you feel like I've replaced you, and your place as the prince has been usurped, I want you to know that nothing could ever replace you. You will always be the prince of my kingdom. And you are my special, perfect, and most loved baby boy.


love,
mama.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice this pst is so sweet. It make me cry. I love yo allMom

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home