Friday, June 06, 2008

Sisyphus was a mother

And not some guy pushing a rock.
I don't know what possessed me to try and organize the closet in Domingo's room today, maybe it was the fact that oh, I could go into labor ANY MINUTE and we don't have a BAG PACKED and no BABY CLOTHES are out and I'm LOSING MY MIND.
But months upon months of just ignoring the fact that people (read Chris-oh ok, I'm guilty too) keep shoving things they don't want to deal with (read baby clothes/blankets/gifts etc) in this closet willy nilly creating a towering mass of fuzzy pink and blue things does not make for an easy time.
Add to this the fact that Domingo 1.) sees things tumble out of the closet and thinks it's his mission to help more things end up on the floor; 2.) dump all of his existing possessions on the floor; 3.) laugh maniacally as mama sits in the corner and rocks quietly mumbling to herself.
Seriously. WHY?
Domingo has developed this unfortunate little habit of dumping out every toy he owns and piling them on top of himself. (I'm looking directly at you tia Sally). This also occurs with his books. Now I am certainly not going to put his books and toys in places where he can't access them, what would be the point of that? (Maybe to keep me from going insane) But we go through the same ordeal maybe 10 times per day. I (or Chris or Ana) pick up the toys/books/items, put them away, and then literally moments later, Domingo sees what we've done and proceeds to dump everything out again. This is no way to live. Today 4 times, (this is no exaggeration, I just wanted to see how many times it would take) I put Domingo's little turtles away in a jar. He was playing contently with something else every time. He would see me close the jar and put it away. He would run over to the jar, open it, dump out the turtles, and return to playing with what ever else he had in front of him before he saw me try and defile his kingdom with "order". Finally after the 4th time, I think he got bored and went on playing with his other toy. These are the kinds of things that terrify me about having another baby.
It would be one thing if we had a giant place, where Domingo could have a toy room, or a basement or some space of his own to make a disaster, but we live in a small apartment, with lots of "things". It's important to try to corral the "things" so that people don't step on little wood blocks and curse the heavens at 10 decibels.
When am I going to have the time to keep this place at a level that's just under crazy with the new baby to contend with? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!
I know I know, "nesting". It's normal to feel the urge to purge, and organize, and fix, but seriously, why do we have so much stuff? Why are there not one but TWO plastic crappy animal juice bottles from the zoo? Those things are probably leeching toxic florescent radons into our non-lethal cups as I type. Why? Because Domingo LOVES these "things" he loves this "stuff". And when I went to throw out the cardboard box that the crayons from Wishbone came in, he reached for it and said "quiero crayolas" and looked at me as if I were about to throw away his best friend. I'm sure if I threw out "jugo gorilla" he would cry. So I'll hand it to him, give him a moment to say good bye and when he is being entertained by that old used rice krispie box with kung fu panda on it, I'll toss gorilla out with the rest of it.
God help us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa - just noticed I received a not so honorable mention in this post -- oops. Here's something I tried with my kids. "Ok - let's 'blitz' (i.e., clean up) the play area - only for 1 minute - I'll put the timer on!! Whee fun!" It worked once. Love reading all the posts, xo tia sally (i love being tia!)

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home