Monday, May 26, 2008

The race

This weekend was another whirlwind of activity. We went to cookouts, ribfests, and memorial day picnic. The weather held up, and it was actually HOT today, definitely hot enough to go swimming if we had stayed in Morris this afternoon. Hopefully it'll stay this way for awhile and we can take advantage.
Although, I'm more and more reluctant to leave our little apartment 5 minutes from the hospital and our doctor. I'm not super keen on having my sister or my father in law deliver Domi's little baby sister. Saturday I had a little scare, I was up until 12 feeling really painful twinges, not quite full on contractions, but I would contract and then have really bad muscle/intestinal pain, and I was a few contractions away from calling Leticia and going to the ER. Not a fun way to spend Memorial Day Weekend. I decided I should layoff the encased meats for awhile, but had some polish sausage and bratwurst the next day anyway.
In other in-utero-baby news, we are at 34 weeks, and all is well I guess. This baby is total low rider, which makes it hard to walk, hard to sit, makes me have to pee every 5 minutes, and her frequent squirmings make me cry out every now and again, but the good news is I can eat more again! All this baby dropping has left more room for MY stomach and organs, YES! That's all that matters.
But back to the title of this post. This weekend we as usual, hung out with my sister and the twins. And in one of the first overtly hostile displays of sibling rivalry I was transported back to my own sweet childhood.
The first incident was really a second hand account of a conversation that was had at the store. Leticia said someone asked them who was older, and Sofia said she came out first, so she was older. Graciela instantly said, no, she was older because she stayed in longer and "cooked" for longer so she was older. When we were talking about it, Graciela overheard us, and was like I'm the oldest. Sofia then heard this and said no, I'm the oldest, and it was almost the start of a fight, but luckily ice-cream changed the subject.
Later, while we were sitting outside, Sofia was running around the back yard and decided to have a race. Graciela was asked to participate, but unfortunately did not go the approved route and also started before all the runners were ready. Sofia spent the next 3/4 of a lap around the yard screaming after Graciela that she was NOT GOING THE RIGHT WAY, and Graciela was smiling and running, not paying attention and increasing her lead. Graciela got back to where we were sitting and was beaming the smile of the victorious, meanwhile Sofia was screaming, stomping and doing an excellent John McEnroe impersonation. So Ian tried to alleviate the situation by saying he was racing Sofia and Graciela couldn't race too because it was Sofia's turn. Sofia and Ian raced, but Graciela started after, and when she lost, there was much screaming, crying and rending of garments. I have to say, she has a winners attitude. She will not accept anything less. Leticia has some work before they become gracious in victory and defeat. That said, as Graciela looped around the back yard her triumphant elfin face glowing, and Sofia's tormented wails egging her on, I was so vividly reminded of my own youth. That could've been me cheating my way to an easy win with Gustavo hopelessly chasing after screaming that it wasn't fair, I was going the wrong way, I started too early, and life in general sucks. Luckily, they are also my sister's children, and I know she will sooner rather than later help them learn, you win some you lose some, and it's better not to make your siblings suffer. A lesson, I still have trouble with.
Here are some pictures from this weekend!


Domi admires his commissions

sitting on the patio

pre-race camaraderie

little miss low rider. This is my favorite pregnancy outfit ever. If I could wear it to court or to work everyday I would, it's the best. God bless those little Mexican women, they know what they are doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home