Friday, April 25, 2008

Love your Mother...

Earth that is!
As a once long-haired-tree-hugging-dead-listening (but at least non patchouli stinking) hippy, every year about this time, I feel a twang of guilt that I am not really living up to my "green" roots. I drive to work, alone, consume way too much, and want even more than I actually have. But I am also of the opinion that you should try act locally, and every little bit helps. So this week in honor of Earth day, rather than drive the 4 blocks to the grocery store, I walked there with Domi and a back pack. Ah yes, no bags for me, can you hear the smugness?
The good thing is that with only so much space, I am forced to only pick up what we really need, leche en vaso anyone? Especially because I need to take toys and a snack for his royal highness. But the annoying thing is that I had to go back to the store today to pick up what I wasn't able to get on Monday. Good thing number two, I'm getting a little exercise, getting outside and some fresh air for Domi. As much as I occasionally lament living in a city, in a high rise, in our little apartment, I must admit I that it makes it possible to walk to three different parks, the lakefront, the grocery store, the baseball stadium, and any public transportation is literally right out the front door. And especially now, that the weather is starting to behave itself, I become ever more forgetful of my list of complaints against the windy city. So we'll try and keep up the "green" shopping, go to the farmers market once it starts up, and use our public radio grocery bags (I mentioned the smug, no?) and then later we'll drive to Target pick up the jumbo diapers, marshmallows and "creespees" and call it a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home