Sunday, April 06, 2008

19th MONTH DAY!!

A very merry un-19th monthday to you my dear Domingo! You turn 19 months tomorrow, but since it's Sunday, your daddy is playing with you in your room and I have a moment to blog, I thought I'd upload my month-day post.
If I look back at the last few month day posts, I bet there are some similarities, I hope it's not only because of my lack of creativity, but because the sentiment is truer all the time, you are more of a joy to be with every month that goes by. While it's true that you are becoming more and more willful all the time, I mean, just try to get a morsel of meat passed your little teeth, or anything you don't want to eat for that matter, and you'll quickly see it, but at the same time, you are so very sweet, and cheerful, and playful it's wonderful. You'll sing by yourself in your room or the car for long stretches at a time, and just play make believe with your turtles or trucks or dinosaurs. You love music and love to dance, and I love to clap and sing along. But more than anything, you love books. You will sit on a lap happily for hours asking for mas and mas and mas libros. Some days I am at my wits end because it's all I can do to get you into pants so we can go outside for a minute, or change your diaper, or finish going to the bathroom, and you are always right there with a book in hand asking for a libro en el sofa.



Giving me a break from libro duty.

We've stopped counting all the words you know, but there are loads. You still are speaking about 90% Spanish with a few English words thrown in there for good measure, like cookie, cracker, and pumpkin. We hope to keep it up as long as possible, but you are starting to surpass Papa in your vocabulary. There have been a couple times now when he has asked me, what's X word, and then he said, "wow that's another one Domi knows and I don't!"
You've started putting words together and speaking in phrases now too. You'll be in the car and talk about the different colored cars and trucks, how many buses you see, or the dogs on the sidewalk. You'll ask to go to your abuela's house or to see your primas, or if you are ready to leave you'll scream out "VAMOS" just in case we were unclear as to your desires. You are so verbal and it really helps when you are feeling frustrated or hurt, for example you can tell me in the middle of the night that your mouth hurts (getting more molars, how many teeth does one baby need!). But you have also learned to use your powers for evil, today when I told you no more cookies, you went over to abuela and whispered, "mas tooties" hoping that I wouldn't hear. Of course abuela caved and gave you the forbidden "tootie".




You are an imp!

Speaking of abuela's, you love going there, and playing with the abuelos and especially tia may's little ceramic seal. You also adore seeing your primas, but still have not quite got the hang of playing with them rather than against them. You have to learn that they are two against one my dear, and they will always take you down! You love watching them, running after them, screaming when they scream, but as soon as they have a toy, you want it, and as soon as they take it back, you scream and come running to an adult to correct the injustice you have just suffered. Not only that, you don't even want them to look at the same things you are looking at. I mean, how does it lessen your enjoyment of a story if they hear it too? Isn't there enough black bear in the zoo for everyone to look at? Apparently for you, the answer is no. So we'll have to work on sharing, and the time is getting very near when sharing mama is going to be a reality. So we'll see how well that goes.




Doing ok sharing Sofia's fort.

Another thing I've noticed is that you are slightly fastidious and have been for awhile, I really haven't posted about it, but it is more apparent now that you come running up to me and say "manos sucios" when you have dirty hands and want me to wipe them. You also come running when you stub your toe, bonk your head or trip and fall. You say whatever body part hurts and ask me to cure it with a rub and a "sana sana colita de rana", a saying that tia may used to say to us when we were hurt.

We had your 18 month doctor check today, and although it's a little late the doctor said you are one terrific boy. The only thing of concern is you have another blessed ear infection! I'm so outrageously sick of all these ear infections and antibiotics that we have to give you I'm tempted to pull you out of daycare. Oh wait, you aren't in day care. 16 and a half months of breastfeeding, nary a drop of formula ever touched your lips, and we fork over basically my entire salary to keep you away from sick kids. I feel I've been cheated somehow. So it's a trip to the pediatric ENT for us, to talk about your 3rd ear infection since January and hopefully the doctor will say, your pediatrician is just overly cautious, and you're fine.
As for the numbers, you are still very scared of the doctor probably because every time we go they stick you or shove hard plastic things in painful infected ears, so the length was a little iffy, but she said between 34 and 34.5 inches (90th %), 27 lbs 10 oz (50-75th%), and head size 19.5 inches (50-75%). So you are definitely slimming down and it's obvious if you look at pictures, but it's reassuring to hear from the doc that it's totally normal and appropriate. Also, even though everyone says you have a giant head, it's smaller than one quarter of all boys your age, so don't feel self-conscious.
We had a short conversation about sleeping, and she suggested getting you out of our bed and into your own well before your sister gets here. I kind of agree, because I'm sure it will feel like you are being dethroned and kicked out of your bed by the baby if it happens afterward. And I don't want you to feel any more jealousy or rivalry that you are bound to. The only reason I would move you to your own bed is if the baby was disturbing your sleep, and it seems pretty likely that she will. I still don't know if it's going to happen, but July is not as far away as it once was.
Domingo you are such an amazing little person. All the time, I'm blown away by how much one person can love another living being. I'm so lucky to be reminded of it every day.



love,
mama

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to take the domi out of domisworld, but I really have to say that every time I read the latest domi post I am transported back to Freya's toddlerhood.
The sweetness, the even temperment, the crazy advanced vocabulary....
Honestly, F and D are certainly cut from the same cloth.
(aren't we lucky?)
love, J

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home