Saturday, June 07, 2008

To please the masses

I was informed by a loyal reader that this blog is getting a little word heavy, and we need more pictures. Unfortunately, the ones we've been able to snap lately look like this:


Or this:


Here is the little prince weighing his options, do I freak out full-body style, or just more of a high pitched scream freak out when I'm asked to give up the sticks and get in the stroller?


We actually had a really nice day today. We don't often stay in the city during the summer months, not because there aren't lots of wonderful things to do, but mostly because we have the beauty of the cottage in Michigan, or the pool in Morris (along with the incredible meals that I neither have to prepare or clean up after!) to beat the heat. And yes, Chicago in summer, while the only reason to live through the winter, really is sweltering. But the fact that we are now kind of forced to stay in town, it's good to make the most of it.
Today we went to the farmer's market by the zoo, and since there was no street parking we parked at the zoo. Before we even got near the parking lot, Domingo completely recognized where we were going and started asking to see specific animals. He really has an incredible memory. So rather than going right to the market we ambled along looking at different animals and then finally got to the market.
Ah this is the reason to live in Chicago. I think the fact that we live somewhere where wonderful produce isn't available all year (or nearly) makes it all the better when we finally get our hands on it. At least I tell myself this to keep from crying through November through May.
I made the most wonderful tomato, goat cheese, and basil sandwiches with bakery ciabatta bread for dinner. I don't know what these people did to get such amazing heirloom tomatoes out this early in the summer, but they were superb. I truly feel for my brother who will yet again miss out on the pleasures of summer in the northern hemisphere, particularly the tomatoes.
The goat cheese was from my favorite stand at the market, Prairie Fruit Farms in Champaign IL. They only come to the market every 6th Saturday when the moon is 3/4 full. They say every other weekend, but they lie. So when I see the stand I always make sure to buy a container of the chevre. It's incredible. I still hold on to the fantasy of moving into the country and having a sheep cheese farm. These people make it seem possible. The farm has a stone fruit orchard and the goats eat peaches and nectarines they say that's why their cheese is so wonderful. I don't know if that's the reason, but it is amazing.
After the market, we had to get back to our car so we had to pass back through the zoo. This was kind of a mistake. Domingo was half past fried and asking him to stay in the stroller while we passed by the animals did not go over well at all.
But we saw a few more animals that were his favorites (mainly the gorillas) and then we hit def con 5 so we ran (I waddled) to the car, where he passed out before we were out of the parking lot. He took a nice long nap and so did we.
We'll tackle more of "project throw everything away" tomorrow, but Chris and I got a pretty good start in the kitchen today, and the good news is we made it out of the zoo without buying another toxic plastic animal juice bottle. PROGRESS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home