Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Putting it out there


A few days ago a friend of mine got a nasty comment on her site. I also got a comment on my last post that made me think a little more about what I post about and the pictures I post. The fact that this site is for me and my family and friends doesn't change the fact that it's out there for anyone to see. So while I think pictures of my son's poopy bottom are cute and hilarious, maybe the internet isn't the best place to show them off.
It also made me rethink the content of this site and what it has become. Originally I thought it would be like an online babybook, where milestones and benchmarks and growth spurts would be documented as well as a place where the minutiae of everyday with a newborn would be carefully preserved for the ages and for the masses. I thought this was a particularly good idea for those who don't get to see the little prince in the (ample) flesh. It still is that, but it has become so much more.
While on bedrest, reading other people's blogs became a way to escape my sofa prison. Then it became a habit, and reading about other people's pregnancies and babies, and other topics too, became part of my daily routine. I felt like I got to know these women and their children, and came to really want to read about how and what they were doing. So later, I thought, "hey, I should do that too" for the above mentioned reasons. And over time (didn't take too long) this blog became a place where I could vent my insecurities, frustrations, worries, and laud my triumphs, desires, and hopes. I do this part for me, but, as my friend's nasty commenter made me realize, it's out there for other people to judge me should they so choose. That kind of puts damper on one's desire to write openly and freely about one's feelings and about what is going on in one's life. Not that I have ever let someone else's judgments stop me from embarrassing myself, so why should it now? Anyway, this is one of the more ME focused posts and not so much about Domi, but I am part of Domi's world, hopefully one of the bigger parts.
More updates soon, D has his 4 months doc. appointment on Sunday, so I'll be back with the official height/weight check, as well as more pictures soon. This is one Chris took where it looks like the teething is still underway!

3 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

THank you, Alice! You are an awesome friend. I commented on your poopy butt post--so cute, but somehow it didn't make it. I said that I think it is so funny how Domi is sitting there, content as can be. I so recognize that face when Q has a blowout!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Gustavo said...

I can't believe he has a tooth already! Maybe he the next step in human evolution (like xmen or heroes). Don't worry about what stupid people say, that's what 'block' is for. I need to stay informed about domi's poopabouts, since I can't be there in person.

1:13 AM  
Blogger La. Sra. said...

Alice - Forget those who spew nasty comments and keep on with Domi's world!

I loved the poopy picture and would have said the same thing had it been in a non-online baby book. It was meant to be an inside momma joke and nothing more.

I wish I could have gotten the picture of when Elena did the same thing and it shot across the room and hit the opposite wall. That was an event to behold.

Don't change a thing and I'm glad you have Domi's world - it helps me to know I'm not the only one having the same life issues and helps all of us love on the little gem named DOMI.

Hope work is going well!!

Love to all -
Da Garcias

GGGOOOOO BEARSSSSS!!!!! (and colts)

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home