Monday, December 24, 2007

Feliz Navidad!

Prospero Año y Felicidad! Just another very quick update, well wishes, and greetings from a foreign land.
Only a few pictures because as I said in my last post, the internet is very slow and pictures take forever to upload.
We have been having a wonderful time despite the outrageous heat. Remember a few posts back, when I was complaining about how one has no choice but to gain weight in the Chicago winter because all there was to do was stay indoors and eat? Well, I'm not much better off in the Paraguayan summer. There is no escaping the heat, unless you sequester yourself to your air-conditioned cave during the day. And there is nothing you want to do more than sleep, long, languorous and indulgent naps. Even Domingo will take a 2 and a half hour nap or two during the day. This usually coincides with no desire to eat either, which you would think would combat the chubbiness, but I manage to have a few mixto sandwiches (hot ham and cheese) a full lunch plus dessert, and then when the sun goes down, and you can venture outside again without igniting in flames, you have a few hours to stuff yourself silly with dinner, then go back to sleep. How on earth am I expected to not gain weight? Maybe my deep dark tan will camouflage my expanding thighs, oh but wait, I have no tan because were I to be outside in the sun, I would (as previously mentioned) go up immediately in flames, it's so freaking HOT! Thank goodness we now have the pool and can at least be submerged up to the tips of our noses. That said, I'm soaking up all the oppressive heat so I can deal with the long cold winter awaiting us in Chicago.

Despite all my complaining, and ever expanding girth (or perhaps because of them), we are having a great time. Domingo is the king of the castle, and everyone (it goes without saying) adores him. He's met his cousins, two great grandmothers, and myriad aunts and uncles. He's eating every fruit he can get his hands on, and more juice than he's ever had in his life, (and note to tia Leticia while knocking violently on wood- not a single troubling diaper). He is barefoot, filthy, and 99% of the time pantsless, needless to say, he is in heaven. He's not even bothered by the bugs, which tend to leave him alone and prefer my ample rear as fodder. Even the few bug bites he has do not balloon up like mine, thank God, so we haven't had to worry about scratching, infections, or baby benadryl. The only sad part is that we have so few days left, time here really flies.

Here are a few pictures to wet your appetites! More when we return. And again, Ho ho ho, Merry Everyone!



Happy juice face.




Playing with An-i (Angie)



Our Christmas package dropped out of the sky, luckily Papa was there to catch him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home