Wednesday, November 07, 2007

14th Month-day Chupdate!


Domingo, today is your 14th monthday, and my word you've had a busy month.
This month we had to say goodbye to your constant companion, Oslo. You look at pictures of him on the computer and say "guau guau" and sign dog, but don't really seem to realize he's no longer here, at least not that I can tell. Maybe you think we left Oslo at Grandma and Farfar's, which in a way is true, or maybe you are just too little to notice that he was here and now he's gone. At any rate, I am glad that you don't seem too distraught by his being gone, since both Daddy and I are still just keeping it together. I hope one day you can look back at these notes, and pictures and realize what a great dog you had, how he loved to keep "watch" over you, even though he couldn't see, how he kept under your dinner table seat sparkling clean, and how he made your parents very happy, furious, exasperated, and feel oh so loved.
On to other matters, this month you have finally started WALKING!!! I will get a video up here at some point, but a few days ago, you took your first few tentative steps, I think the first time was when Daddy and I were sitting with you in your room before bath time, and you stood up and took two steps toward your book case when I screamed so loud you promptly plopped down on your butt and whipped around to see what was the matter. After that you were just screaming and rolling around on the floor laughing at me, so we couldn't get any more steps out of you, but since then you've started to make your move. You are very cautious, and usually only take a step or two before plopping down, but this weekend you took like 6 steps before falling face first into Daddy's lap. It's all very exciting and terrifying for everyone. We live in a constant state of "OHMYGODYEAHHE'SWALKING,OHNOWATCHHIMHE'SGONNAFALL!!!!!" and it can be a bit tiring. I'm now quite sure you'll be walking like a pro in time for our trip to Paraguay, which makes me even more apprehensive for the 24 hour door-to-door voyage.
Not only have you been making gross motor skill strides, over this past month your vocabulary has really exploded. You are a little parrot, and everything we say, you repeat. Not only that, you remember the words and signs and drop one for a day or two, only to throw it back at me days later. You have at least 10 words that I can think of off the top of my head, one of which, I'm very happy to report is MAMA!!! Yes, you finally said it, to me, and meant it, to ME! It was so vindicating to finally be able to say, that yes, you know me, I have a name and it's Mama! (He also knows how to say Ana, but let me have my moment please!)
You have about as many signs as you have words, although, I must sheepishly admit, that I'm not adding much to your sign vocab, though please is big on my list for future use. You can point to your head, eyes, nose, mouth, and toes, when asked, and you understand many many more words than you can say. Daddy wants me to chronicle all your words, sounds, and more here at some point, and I still might, but I don't want to seem like I'm bragging!
Your favorite game recently, is to look at your picture books, pointing at different animals, and making the corresponding noise. Your favorite song recently is "La Bamba" which you sing and dance to by girating up and down saying "bamba bamba" and signing more when it's over. My only problem with that is the version we have is on this kiddie CD, and there is a little girl on the song who says "all together now" in the most annoying voice before the chorus, and she really needs a punch. But I suffer through it because it makes you so happy.
I hate to mention what the 13th month "sleep regression" did to us, for fear that it will return with a vengence, but let's just say it was not very pleasant. I was really ready to throw in the towel on the family bed, and I think the middle of the night screamfests almost had your father convinced as well. I did a lot of on-line reading about it, and came to the conclusion that it would pass, and low and behold, you are sleeping better now. We'll see how long it lasts.
I'm really excited to say that each month with you gets better than the last. You are such a personality. You are incredibly willful and stubborn. You absolutely refuse to be fed, and insist on only eating things you can pick up with your own two fingers. This has been the case since you were about 10 months old, but now that you are eating all kinds of things, um, like yogurt, it's quite messy. When you don't get your way you throw a baby tantrum that is truly hilarious. If you were a bit older, it would be truly annoying, but as it is, you are still just a baby, so you get a pass. The "berinches" only last maybe 3 seconds, and then you are easily distracted by whatever else happens to be around, and you brighten up pretty much instantaneously. You just can't stay mad, you are a very cheerful boy.
You are so incredibly sweet. You give kisses to your little toys, and "Tula" a character in your good night book. You blow kisses goodbye to me when I leave in the morning, and give me giant teeth grinding bear hugs when I come home at night. It almost makes leaving you worth while. My favorite time is still bed time though, when all three of us are so cuddly and snuggly, and you drift off to sleep in our arms. I cherish these moments that I know will be memories all too soon. Happy 14 months sweet boy.
Love,
Mama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home