Thursday, November 01, 2007

Welcome to NaBloPoMo!!


What on earth is NaBloPoMo you ask?
Don't worry, it has nothing to do with NAMBLA. It's national blog posting month! I've made a pledge to post once per day for the rest of the month. This is a national thing with bloggers all over posting daily all month long. I will try my best to have something substantive to post about each day, but I make no promises, especially considering that this is my first day of this effort and my post is just an explanation of what I'm doing. But I have to save the juicy stories, and fascinating ramblings for the next 29 days right?
I remember last year at about this time, as I was just getting into the whole blog universe, reading other blog authors who were part of NaBloPoMo and feeling really motivated and inspired to do the same. This was when my child didn't do much more than sleep, cry, and eat, and I wasn't working. I was filled with wonder, and at the same time overwhelmed with every little move, squeak, and hiccup. Not that I'm filled with less wonder now at how incredible this boy is, I'm just a little more used to his being around.
The not working thing also had a lot to do with my motivation to post last year. Everything was new, everything was scary, I was away from the familiar environs of the workplace. I also had very little creative and intellectual outlet at that time. Seriously, how stimulating is it to talk to someone who cannot even smile at you in return? How much satisfaction can you get from changing a piddly diaper? Admittedly, I got some satisfaction, I knew I was doing something right if he pooped and peed, but with that as my only feedback, I did want to look outside for some props. Maybe it is just a reflection of my own shortcomings that I could not get enough stimulus through those very early interactions, but it is the truth.
The other great thing about the blog is that in my super neurotic, completely unsure of myself, sleep deprived state, it was very theraputic to be able to post about my anxieties, my excitement, my total adoration of this new little boy. Getting comments online and in person from family and friends was (and is) really wonderful and validating. And while I'm happy that so many people have found that this blog was a nice way to keep up with Domi, I really have to say that it has definitely been more for me and my own enjoyment than for anyone else.
This blog post month will hopefully ignite my creative energies, and get me motivated to put up more than just an adorable picture of Domingo. I really want to be able to share our lives, the good, the bad, the mundane, with family and friends who don't have the pleasure of being near enough to be with this wonderful boy everyday.
So stay tuned it's sure to be an interesting month!

2 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

What a great post, Alice. That's just how my blog was born for me. You said it perfectly! Looking forward to the next month!

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! You rule! Blog away!! xo Chris

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home