Thursday, October 18, 2007

Social Butterfly

Domingo is the king of the toddler social scene. He went to a friend's birthday party today. Yes, he is barely 1 year old and already has more of a social life than his mother. Not that surprising really. And oh yeah, I was not the one to take him to this party.
Oh do I have mixed feelings about this! Ana is also a very social creature, and she has made friends with other babysitters in the neighborhood. This is how Domi met his birthday party friends. It works out well because Ana gets to spend time with other adults, and Domingo gets to play with other kids his age, and a little older. It is good for everyone, so I'm not complaining, especially since if it were me home full time, I would NEVER go up to strangers and their children and ask to play. I would probably just hang out with Domi all day, and we would have our activities, but not really do much interacting with other kids/moms/babysitters. It's just not my thing. That said, I have some guilt around the idea of someone else taking my son to his first (non-family) birthday party, someone else knows who his "friends" are and I don't, and that I'm not around everyday, all day.
Now I'm not going to beat myself up too badly. I have met his "friends", I use quotes because, really, a one year old does not exactly have friends, he doesn't play with other kids, he basically just plays by himself in close proximity to other kids, that, and he alternates between taking other kids toys and crying when those other kids take his toys.
I also spend a lot of quality time with Domingo, on my days off and when I come home from work, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. But I also actually like my job, when it's not crazy, and honestly feel like I'm doing something worthwhile and important. This helps me be a better person, and a better parent. I know I'm not saving the world, but I actually do make a difference in people's lives, and that's important to me.
No, I don't love that Domingo ate pizza and cake and ice-cream, but it's one day, and it's not like he was sucking down sodas in his sippy cup. No, I'm not crazy about everything Ana does, but she is really great with him. She is constantly stimulating him which is part of the reason, I think, that he's so engaged. And most importantly, she really loves him, and he loves her, and that is worth it's wieght in gold.
So here are some party photos that I asked Ana to take at the party, because if I couldn't be there, I at least wanted to have it documented for Domi's world. I'm nothing if not committed. Enjoy!

"Pipsa" face



Mas?



Not a dunces cap

1 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

We all have to write one of these guilty posts every 6 months or so.Don't you love being a working mommy? It's SO GREAT that Domi went to that party, and he looks totally adorable in his big boy seat with all the other kids! It's great for him. Really. No guilt. He'll have plenty of parties with you and I love that you are happy to let him go:)

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home