Thursday, September 20, 2007

Perfection wrapped in seaweed

Tuesday night Chris and I went out on a very belated anniversary dinner date. Our friends Ed and Sarah said they'd watch the beast (both of them) and we went to Mirai sushi, the setting where a little over 5 years ago, Chris and I were engaged. I have to say, Tuesday night was one of the best meals I've had in recent memory. It maybe one of the top 10 meals I've had, in a restaurant, ever. I've eaten there loads of times before, but this meal was the best ever. I normally curb my rhapsodizing about meals, and food memories, and eating on this blog, because really, what does that have to do with the baby? BUT, I just have to go into detail about dinner, I was sitting in traffic on Wednesday composing this blog post in my head. It was THAT good. Chris offered to budget 10 meals a year at this place, he is willing to put off buying a house to eat here. I must say, if every meal was like that, it would be worth it.

First we ordered drinks, Chris had a Sapporo beer, which happens to be brewed where Gustavo is staying right now (Sapporo, Japan), and I had a peach and passion fruit sake "martini". (It was served in a martini glass, but that's all that was martini about it) Then came our first course. Every time we eat at Mirai we order this incredible baked crab dish that always come out first. It is always the most delicious two bites of the meal. Chris and I both were remarking that it's almost a shame that it is the first thing that comes out, but that way you're still hungry and just slightly warm from your beverage as you taste the best part of the meal. It really is perfection wrapped in seaweed.
After the Kani Nigiri, we had the rest of our Nigiri pieces. We also always order the tuna combination, an array of lean, medium and high fatty blue fin tuna. I don't know how or why this particular tuna is better than tuna I've ever eaten anywhere else, but it is. I know that blue fin is not the most responsible fish to eat, but I figure that we only eat it once in a blue(fin) moon, so we're only slightly contributing to the disappearance of a most delicious creature. We also had some big eye tuna, and salmon. Everything was amazing.
Next came our maki. The rolls were unreal. First came the Tuna Tuna Salmon, poached salmon wrapped in rice with tuna and tobiko on top with this really delicious sauce. Then came the "special suke" (salmon). It was panko fried shrimp inside rice with salmon on top. Chris described it as "God's popcorn". Finally we had the "special maki", it was spicy tuna and octopus with a ponzo sauce. It was delicious, but probably my least favorite thing of the night, which is saying something because it's usually one of my favorite things ever.
The whole meal was pretty much flawless. If I could eat this meal again tomorrow I would. But I suppose I should take a page out of Chris's book of enjoying the anticipation more than the actual event, so I'll just enjoy reliving this meal for awhile until we can go back, maybe for anniversary number 5.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that sounds amazing, and for once I'm not seaweed green with envy, because I had my own amazing meals in Japan. I'll post when I have a chance.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(oops, that was gustavo)

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home