Monday, October 01, 2007

CORNFEST 2008 Y'ALL!!

Oh, and shots, tio Gustavo, and 12 month doctor appointment. But, priorities people, it was the 59th Grundy County Corn Festival, and it was a blast! (As you can see by the pictures.) Domi and I got to town early Friday, and went downtown with tio Gustavo, tia Leticia and the primas. We had some lunch, pet some goats, and went for a long walk. Tio Gustavo is briefly back states-side from Paraguay via Japan, before he goes back to Paraguay for a year. He was in town for the weekend and we got to hang out. The next day, everyone went and ran or walked in the Cornfest 5k. It was a really fun race that was on the I&M canal where we always go and run anyway, so it was a very familiar course. Domi went on the walk with Abuela and Abuelo and fell asleep along the way. But he was not to sleep serenely for too long, because right after the race, we went to get his vaccines from our family friend, Dr. Cho. Not fun. I won't bore the reading public again with my thoughts on this subject, I'll just let you know, that it went fine, Domingo showed no adverse reaction at all, and was back to his regular cheerful self within minutes. We then walked around, watched the little kid version of the water fights, went to the petting zoo again, then ate enough fried vegatables to clog an artery. Oh, and kettle corn too.
Then Emma and Mateo came to join the fun, so it was back downtown to show off the wonders of small town America. Tia Hez and James joined us. I don't know what it is about little boys, but if it's big and red with wheels and you can ride on it, it's a hit. Domingo was a little skeptical of the petting zoo the first two or three times we went, but by the forth, he was all over it, pointing and quacking with the ducks, hopping with the rabbit, clip-clopping with the donkey, and clucking with the chickens. His favorite by far were the ducks, but they were the least cooperative of all the animals, so he made do with watching other kids chase them around.
Sunday we went back for more, watched the Jesse White Tumblers, although Domingo just roasted in the sun and didn't really focus on the tumbling. The twins were into it for a minute or two, and Leticia and I were gasping, and oohing and aahing enough for the three of them. They are really incredible.
We had a really fun time this year, and it's really funny to go to the events, and rides etc. and see them through my nieces' and son's eyes. I vividly remember going to the fair, watching the parade, and drinking lemon-shake-ups, and now they get to do it! It's pretty wild.
Then Sunday night we came back to Chicago and had dinner with the abuelos and Gustavo. Monday it was time to say goodbye to tio Gustavo and we went to our 12 month appointment with our doctor in Chicago. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I adore our pediatrician. She's so great. First of all, she was completely supportive of getting our shots elsewhere because our insurance cuts off on well child visits before all the 1st year vaccines are finished. I was afraid she would at least make me feel inadequate for having crappy insurance (it's really not, we didn't have to pay anything for our very complicated pregnancy, but this is one thing that just sucks) but she didn't, she just said if you can get it free or cheap somewhere else, there is no reason to get them here! Then we talked about vaccines, autism, and warning signs. She said that Domingo looked perfect, was exhibiting lots of non-autistic behavior (pointing, talking, babbling, hugging, responding to his name etc.) but if I still have concerns at the next appointment to make sure to talk to her again. She did say that he is technically "behind" with the walking, but not to worry, and if I wanted, gave me some tips to motivate the little lazy bones to get off his heiner and walk. But she then said that there are lots of late walkers out there, herself included, and none of them crawl to school, so not to stress out. (See why I love her?!) She did ask about sleep, and I felt like I was honest, I said that it's going better than a few days ago, and that I think he was having a hard time because he's getting FOUR molars at the SAME TIME. I would be cranky too. But I think the worst is over (knocking my knuckles bloody on wood), and we've had a few good nights recently. Then the not fun stuff, a finger prick discovered that Domingo was a little bit anemic (breastfeeding bites me in the rear) and we need to start a nasty supplement, as well as a meatier diet. But we are aparently lead-free, or at least within an acceptable range, so keep those Chinese toys coming!
Well here's what you read this far down to see anyway, the STATS:
Height: 32.5 inches >95% (this was slightly different from the height at Cho's, and I don't think he grew 3/4 of an inch in 2 days, but still, he's pretty tall)
Weight: 25.5 pounds 75%-90% (slimming down!)
Head: 18 3/4 inches 75% (I doesn't seem like his head is getting bigger, but it's only like an inch smaller than mine, so I guess it doesn't need to get much bigger!)

Ok, to sign off, here are some pictures from this weekend.


No food critic.


Still not quite sure he's into it.


Definitely into this!


Same here.


Although a city-boy his whole life, Domi's just a farm boy at heart.

2 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

So cute! But...huh. If Domi is a late walker, what does that make Quinn? I think I know the answer since he is a whole 3 weeks older than Domi and still not appearing very interested in walking. Oh well.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is just me, but lately whenever i see a photo of domi i can't believe how much he resembles chris!
something about his expression(s) -- he is his daddy's boy.
granted, i didn't know alice as a baby, but there is definitely a daddy/domi resemblance if you ask me.
(not that anyone did!)
luv,
tia J

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home