Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rough and tumble

This weekend has been a bit of a whirlwind once again. We started out in Morris for a nice get together with some friends at tia Leticia and tio Ian's place. The girls were quick to inform us that we would only get to come if we were good. I think their idea of good revolves around doing what they say, and getting them popcorn on command- hey kind of like my idea of being good.
This was kind of a much belated birthday party for the twins, and a "we're glad your pancreas didn't explode" party for Ian. Too bad Hallmark doesn't make a card for that.
Domingo was very gentle when it came time to beating the pinata. Everyone else, including Ian, was more vicious. We have yet to cultivate that killer instinct. Even so it took some serious beating to get that pinata to fold. I was promised pictures and I'll get them up soon.

Then we high tailed it out of Morris to get to South Bend so Papa could hang out with Farfar and watch Notre Dame lose the basketball game. Why is it that every time these two get together their team does not fair well? Maybe they should take it as a sign?
Grandma and I were playing with Domi and Amalia, and about an hour after I was assuring Grandma that Domi was totally fine upstairs because he is great coming down the stairs now, "he's so careful, he's fine!" of course Domingo tumbled down the stairs. And of course I was walking right behind him and saw the whole thing in sickeningly slow motion, but had my other child in my arms so I couldn't do anything to stop his slow/fast roll down from the top of the stairs. He would've been totally fine, just a little frightened, if not for an unfortunately placed table at the foot of the stairs. He barked his shin pretty badly, but other than that he was totally fine. He cried for a minute, asked me to "heal" him with my magic "sana sana" rhyme, and then when Farfar offered some ice-cream, he was completely recovered. The really irritating part of the whole thing was that he fell because he was trying to be careful. He was walking down and turned to hold on to the railing that was on the other side of the staircase, but it was just a little too high for him to reach. He had in his hands two lizards and two little chicks he wanted to show Grandma, so couldn't grab on to the rail as easily as normal, so he missed the rail and went rolling down the stairs. Fortunately there really was no harm done. To him. I on the other hand am completely traumatized and keep seeing him fall every time I close my eyes. Lets just say it took me a very long time to fall asleep last night. Amalia was also traumatized by the whole affair. In addition to hearing her mother scream right in her ear, she saw her idol literally fall before her eyes. She was screaming and crying much harder than Domingo, and that only increased when I threw her at Chris so I could make sure Domingo was ok.
But all's well that ends well, and luckily no one is permanently damaged (except of course mama- I had just gotten over my terror of Domingo falling down the stairs, I mean maybe three weeks ago, who knows how long it will take me to recover now) and we are having a restful, and cold rest of the weekend in South Bend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

Glad to hear that everyone is okay. Hopefully the next time you are in South Bend we will be able to see each other

Miss you guys!

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home