Tuesday, October 07, 2008

25th Monthday!



I just realized when I hit publish of that last, not so glowing post about you, that it was your 25th monthday Domingo.
Oh yes. We've definitely come into the "terrible twos". You are so much better in some ways than 18-24 months, but oh so "different" in other ways. As I was lamenting, there are definitely moments when my sweet gentle little baby disappears and a not so nice little imp takes over.



When I asked you what you did in the park today you told me in no uncertain terms that you pushed a little boy in the sand. When I told you that we never never do that, you turned away like the lint under the sofa was oh so much more interesting than what I was saying. But I am heartened when I see how sweet you still can be with other children, and especially your sister.
You are becoming more and more interested in what she's doing, and she just adores you. She loves watching you and smiles and laughs when you are around and playing with her. You laugh when she smiles at you or laughs or makes a weird sound. You want to get right into where ever she is and play. You are sometimes a little too excited and can get rougher than she's able to handle just yet, but soon enough she'll be able to take what ever you can dish out. I know that it's hard, but I'm glad you are learning to tolerate her and the attention that she takes from you.



While I sometimes worry that you'll be anti-social, painfully shy, or socially awkward, I know that these things just take time, patience and practice, and you'll be just fine. It helps that I can tell you love to be around other kids. You adore your primas and cousins, and even though you very articulately say "I don't want to share with Sofia", you are just as articulate when you say you want to play with them.

In terms of things that have happened this last month, we got our big new stroller and have been going to the park every day some times twice, you continue to take naps in your big boy bed, you have mastered the art of going down the "biggest slide" at the park, you have developed an obsession with all things dinosaur related, and have started sharing bath time with your little sister.
Even with the events of today shaking my confidence in my parenting skills, I definitely still think that one of the best things about being on maternity leave is getting to spend every day with you during this stage in your life. You are so much fun, you talk so much, you learn new words and skills everyday. I love reading with you, watching your dinosaur movie together, playing, singing old mcdonald had a black panther, and just being with you every day. Some days are harder than others, but I'm sure you feel the same way.

One thing is for sure, I'm so glad and so lucky to be with you now, and I really do appreciate every minute.
Love,
Mama.

2 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

Happy 25 months, domi! We can't wait to see you!!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice-- Reading your thoughts on Domi and Amalia starting to truly have a relationship is making me misty. I still think about the day I looked in the rearview mirror and Freya and Theo (ages 3 and 1, respectively, and both in carseats, natch) were holding hands. (sob!)

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home