Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mama's boy

Maybe it's because he's been sick the last MONTH, or maybe it's because he is now officially and totally weaned (hurray!) or maybe it's because he's 16 and a half months, or maybe it's because he's still a little baby for God's sake, whatever the reason, Domingo is going through a heck of a "mama" phase. He demands to be picked up, refuses to go with anyone else, cries when I put him down to, I don't know, go to the bathroom perhaps? Let me just say, thank goodness reading material has never been a necessity of mine to, ahem, get the party started. Now I don't have time to even squeeze the Charmin, let alone read the label.
And he shows no sign of letting up. It's really hard when he's so sick and miserable to let his cries go unattended, especially when all he's asking for is a little of my undivided attention. But I also worry that so much (and I really hate to use the word, but will anyway) "indulgence" will come back to bite me in the rear very shortly. Number one, I know I will not be able to pick him up and hold him aloft for much longer. Besides the fact that it already kills my back to heft up his 25 pounds, pretty soon there will be no where to put him, not to mention that it is probably not the smartest thing for someone with a "troubled" pregnancy history to be doing over and over again as the weeks go forward. And second, after baby 2 comes along, he'll need to learn that sometimes mama can't pick him up or play or read or be with him in the same way that I was before. That sounds so awful, especially since I really only started being with him in these ways that are actually meaningful to him very recently. I mean, I know it was meaningful when I was feeding him, and changing him etc., but he wasn't able to articulate how meaningful it was to him (if at all) that it was me doing it. Now, he wants mama to read a story, mama to play with cars, mama to shover her hand up the squirrel puppet and talk like a raving lunatic. But mostly he wants mama to hold him in the air 24/7. And that's a problem. Papa would help if he could, but Domingo will have none of it. Which is actually a little hurtful at times. I just remind him of all those months when papa was the only one, and mama was just a pair of milk bags (and if our faithful readers will recall, he used to call me papa as well, I was a nameless pair of milk bags!).
So now it's mama's turn to be the one and only, and I'm sure this will pass, with or without me obsessing over whether I'm doing the right thing, whether the new baby will ruin poor Domi's life (I'm sure it will), and whether or not I'll ever be able to close the bathroom door ever ever again. Oh well, visitors, consider this fair warning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home