Monday, January 21, 2008

The end of an era

Months ago I had made a plan to wean Domingo by 15 months. Then after our trip to Paraguay. Then after his horrible cold. I had no doubt that it would be a hard won battle, since Domingo starts his crying for "leche" before he is even out of the bath. Recently we've been committing cardinal baby sin number 9, and giving him a cup of milk when he wakes up at night asking to nurse. Before ye cast the first stone, we were very concerned because he was so sick, and he needed to drink lots of fluids, we were afraid of dehydration, and I just don't have enough milk to keep him hydrated, so we caved. The result is now he asks for "leche en vaso" milk in a cup, when he wakes up. I take this as a step forward, and a ministep back since we'll have to wean him from milk over night now, but it's progress people. (I'm not mentioning the fact that he wasn't waking up at all before he got sick, I'm not mentioning it I say!!)
Tonight as we got Domi out of the bath, he was patting the blanket where he falls asleep, desperately asking for leche, and to "acostarse" (lay down woman)! Then he said something that shocked both Chris and me to no end. He said "leche en vaso". We looked at each other and said "okay", fully assuming as soon as he got the cup in hand he'd throw it aside say "NO" and demand leche mami. Much to my delight, he got the cup and didn't ask to nurse. He drank his "leche en vaso" and then snuggled next to me and fell asleep. A few times he patted my chest, but I handed him the cup again, he drank and then snuggled in again. I tried to see if I felt any twinge of regret or sadness, and I can honestly say NO WAY!! I wanted to jump for joy, but didn't dare move in case Domingo woke up asking for mas leche. Here's desperately hoping that tomorrow goes as easily as tonight.
After 16 and half months of nursing, I'm saying that I'm hanging up my boobs for another good 5 and a half months. That's right. Hopefully in about 24 short weeks there will be another voracious little nurser rooting around in Domi's world. It's pretty wild, but as we've seen Domingo change and grow and turn into such an amazing person, the decision to go for two was pretty easy. I mean, look at this face, and tell me that you disagree. (The baby not the dog!)



We'll keep everyone updated as to how we're doing, we all have many changes to look forward to over here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss you (and your cheddar bunnies!)
love,
Ruby

3:31 PM  
Blogger KMW said...

Finally! Out on the blog!! Good luck with operation no boob! You only have a short window!

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home