Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sushi Mama

So last night I was invited by the ladies of Chris's family for a "girls night out". I wish to send out my deepest thanks. It was fantastic. We went to my favorite sushi restaurant, Mirai. It was my first night out away from the little lamprey, but he and Chris had some Daddy-Domi time, p.m. edition. The place, besides having amazing food, has lots of sentimental associations for me. It's around the corner from Chris's old apartment, in his old neighborhood where I spent so much time while we were dating. He actually proposed on our way to eat dinner there. (He couldn't wait to actually get to the restaurant, so he proposed at the corner by this tree with intertwining branches. The tree is still there. After he asked and I accepted, he asked if I still wanted to go to dinner. I was like, um, yeah, I was promised Mirai sushi, marriage doesn't change that!)
Anyway, when Chris lived there, the neighborhood wasn't exactly as posh as it has become. Driving around looking for parking was never a problem back in the old days. There is also something really depressing about seeing hideous new construction cement blocks filled with rich Lincoln Park types, where there used to be old brick three flats, with weird arty types living inside. Oh well, that's progress I suppose.
But what hasn't changed was the food at Mirai. Everything was so wonderful. I hadn't been there for months. (Yes along with nearly chopping off Domi's finger while trimming his nails, I am also up for the bad mother of the century award for eating sushi while pregnant, vote for me!) Even my sister-in-law who is recently returned from Japan, and no stranger to the real raw deal, said that this sushi, by any standards, was superb. The only downer was that I was reminded of the plight of the tuna and it's state of near collapse from over fishing. Unfortunately for the tuna, it is much too delicious to be long for this world.
Well, the evening was a real treat, I had some wonderful, stimulating, adult conversations, the boys survived, and Grandma came home with me to hang out with Domi in the morning, so I got to sleep in!! Girls night out MUST become a tradition.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gustavo said...

I want that sushi! It's been probably more than a year since i have been out for sushi. For one, we can't really afford it. Second, there is the whole fisheries issue now, so I feel guilty. Ahh.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home