Monday, December 04, 2006

How to keep your dog from begging for one day


You stuff him so full that he nearly explodes. Ah yes Oslo. Looking through my posts I can't believe I have yet to mention the chup. This dog was never so happy in all his life than when I was on bed rest. We got to spend all day together lounging on the sofa, or in bed. Then when the little intruder showed up, Oslo gave me the silent treatment for 3 weeks, but then all was forgiven and I'm back in his good graces now.
Ridiculous as he has become, as Chris says, we are in it to win it with this dog. (Win what you ask? Didn't we mention Oslo is an eccentric millionaire that each year sponsors a race around the world? And to the winner goes the prize of unimaginable splendor. Ah, to be chosen for that race!)
So yes, he's 14 years young, completely blind, mostly deaf, arthritic, with few remaining teeth, he howls when he's left home alone, and barks at the toilet when he's thirsty, but, he's ours. Oh yes there is also the little matter of his non-functioning bladder. Let's just say, he's not welcome many places.
So back to the story, this weekend, we were at my parents' house. My mom (the world's biggest spoiler) said to me, "I have a bone for Oslo, can I give it to him?" I said sure, thinking it would keep him quiet while I took a nap, and continued on upstairs. I didn't see said bone, which looked more like something suitable for the set of Jurassic Park than for a dog, until after it was too late.
Why oh why didn't we see it coming. He was too quiet, too well behaved, too busy eating to the point of exploding. Those who survived what is now referred to as "the bone incident" will be forever scarred.
Well he ate practically his own weight in meat and bone, and was sick as a dog the whole next day. He really acted like he had the world's worst hangover. But did this old dog learn anything? The saying in this case is apt. He was under the dinner table the next night, his cold nose bumping into everyone's legs asking, "are you gonna eat all that chicken?"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hilarious. xo

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home