Thursday, December 14, 2006

D-OHM-ingo


So today we went to mom-baby yoga class. It was the first time I actually made it there, because usually Domi is taking a nap at the time we would have to go. But lately he's been getting up at 10:30, just enough time to get him dressed, and lug him/carseat/Oslo(no it's not a mom/baby/dog yoga class, but wouldn't that be awesome? But I have to take him and leave him in the car (when it's nice out) or my nasty nieghbor will complain that he barks.) and myself to the studio that's only 10 minutes away. It's so funny how things take exponentially longer than they did pre-baby.
Anyway, the class was interesting, even if not entirely restorative. It was pretty much what I had anticipated, more of a place for mothers to get out of the house, and to meet and get to know each other. It was nice to get out of the house, but it's hard to focus on your breathing, or even do all the poses when you have to feed, change, bounce and so on, and try to keep up with what's going on in class. I must say, Domi was a real sport for most of the class, but at 1 hour and a half, it's just a little too long for him to handle. So he started having a melt down and I ran out of there without even picking up my props. How gauche! But we got home just as his little eyes couldn't stay open another minute!

Domi is definitely a LARGE baby. We were in between a 7 month old girl and a 6 month old girl, they were all pretty much the same size. He was also the "chattiest" baby in the class. Most of the other babies just hung out, slept, or fussed quietly, and Domi was talking and talking really loudly, laughing and looking around. Then in typical Domi-fashion, in an instant he had had enough so we were out of there!

Oddly enough, I felt really young being in that class. It was composed of stay at home mothers who (at least to me) looked to be in their mid to late 30's and early 40's. I know I'm in the last gasp of my 20's, and therefore no spring chick, but I still felt sort of out of place, an inexperienced youngster whose baby was not getting into the spirit of the yoga experience. Then again that could just be my own insecurities.

I only took one picture, it was as I was putting on my shoes on our way out the door and Domi was in between screams. It's not very yoga-y, but in my excitement I forgot to bring the camera into the studio when he was on the mat. We'll see if I make it again next week, but if not, at least we learned how to say Namaste for babies!

2 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

You should never feel insecure being the "young" mom. I am always noticing all the late 20's moms while I am quickly approaching mid-thirties and feeling waay behind. But maybe I see them more than the other kind because of MY insecurities. I guess we should all just say "namaste" to one another!

11:14 PM  
Blogger La. Sra. said...

Never worry about being younger than everyone - think of the wealth of knowledge you could get from these people!!!!

What a blessing

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home