Thursday, August 28, 2008

Omnivor's One Hundred

So Gustavo posted this list from another British food blogger about the one hundred things that every omnivore should try at least once, then to link the results back to his blog. The items I've eaten are in bold, the ones I would never even try are supposed to be crossed out but I can't figure out how to do that(like Gustavo!) and are asterisked, and comments where I felt necessary of course.
Yes, I know, this is all about me, not the children, considering Domingo eats maybe two off the list and Amalia eats things off the list only if you count me eating it converting it into energy and producing her daily repast from my bosom, but it is a neat game and even people who are remotely acquainted with me know that 95% of my life is dedicated to food, (I know! Only 95%? It used to be 99% until I had children) I said what the hay. 63 of 100, I think that's pretty respectable. Try the list and see where you fall!
Regular baby-related posts to come...

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare -- Gustavo, you've had this (and Kobe beef) at that sushi place we went to, there's even a picture on your blog.
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich--this is hell on a plate for me, blech!
14. Aloo gobi-- Just like in BILB (Bend it like Beckam, doy!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns-- I love these so much, I often would make a trip to the main office at work when it wasn't totally necessary, just to get some from Wow Bao, mmmmm.
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes-- one of my favorite parts of summer.
22. Fresh wild berries- I would often go running in some random park in Washington and snatch some berries.
23. Foie gras -- I've never had Foie gras proper, just in pate, which is one of my favorite foods. I don't know if I ever will because of how really horrible the process is, although I could get some now in Chicago since the ban is off. Much to Chris's annoyance, not because he loves geese, but because they repealed the ban right before he was set to argue the appeal, and win it of course!
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese--one of my mom's favs, I'm not a big fan.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters-- now that the old uterus is out of commission, I'm in a serious need for some Oysters. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!! It makes me weep salty tears that I haven't had any in ages.
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas- I hate all but fresh shelled peas, even a green coat of wasabi doesn't make them any better.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl-- again, the best chowder in a bread bowl was at Pike's place market in Seattle, mmmm, so incredible.
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut--nasty
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar-- ah Cuba, how I miss you.
37. Clotted cream tea-- can't say I love clotted cream, but I do love a nice civil tea.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O- I (like my little brother) prefer my vodka in a liquid state.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail-- I make a mean gnocci with oxtail sauce.
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects-- I guess I'd try it, although I can't promise it'd stay down
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu*-- I don't think I'd risk death for a little bit of fish
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin--not a big fan of this texture.
51. Prickly pear -- here they call them nopales, and I'm not a big fan.
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal-- I've had the components of a Big Mac Meal separately, I had a Big Mac once, when I was little, and my Dad got me that instead of a plain hamburger, (I was big into plain as a child) and I think the special sauce was so disgusting to me that it scarred me and I've never had one again.
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads -- yes, in Paraguay, people really go whole hog over their beef, and eat every part of the animal, EVERY part. Sweetbreads are called Molleja in Spanish and I have to say again, not a big fan, it's a texture thing more than the taste though.
63. Kaolin* I can't see myself eating clay of my own free will.
64. Currywurst
65. Durian* I probably wouldn't eat stinky fruit, since I won't even eat cantaloupe.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake-- I've rocked 'em all.
68. Haggis* Yeah, too much bad press on this one, probably wouldn't try it.
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette* -- Gustavo said it better than I ever could, I do not want to "explore the possibilities of porcine viscera"
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe-- not that I would NEVER taste it, but I read all the crazy psychotropic properties were based on stories of a rotten batch of wormwood, so I'd rather have a cape cod thank you very much.
74. Gjetost, or brunost -- ah, what comes from marrying a Norsemen.
75. Roadkill* yeah, no thanks.
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie-- I've never finished one, but tasted yes, also on my list of most disgusting things ever.
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong-- there used to be this really bizarre tea/antique store where Chris used to live, not surprisingly it's gone and there is a Jimmy Johns in it's place.
80. Bellini-- mmm, I want one right now.
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. --I wish! Some day...
85. Kobe beef-- again, in Seattle, I had a really amazing Kobe beef steak at this beautiful restaurant Cannlis overlooking Lake Washington. My parents paid (of course) and it really was phenomenal. How can anyone say that this cow did not fulfill it's purpose in life, it had a WAY better existence than most people I know!
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers--nasturtiums are my favorite, peppery anf beautiful!
89. Horse* I also can't see myself willingly trying horse, although I hear it's so good, I just don't think I could.
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab -- I never understood the love of soft shell crabs, there are so many tastier crabs out there, why eat one that tastes fishy and has the texture of a bug?
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish -- One of the saddest moments ever was when we went to Jambalaya for Catfish po'boys to discover that Jambalaya was no more. They were addictive and wonderful and if I had known they were not long for this earth I would have eaten maybe 50 more.
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor-- My favorite dish at a Miami restaurant that I whined my way into going to on one of our many trips to Paraguay when we had a long layover in Miami, come to think of it I'm shocked that I was able to get my dad to leave the airport, but this was definitely in the days before 2 hour lines at security.
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake -- "try the little stripey ones mumsy!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home