Sunday, August 17, 2008

The first step is the hardest

I ran again for the first time in a really really long time yesterday. I can say that my body is not exactly thanking me for it today. I hopped on the scale and I'm still 4 pounds pre-Amalia wieght, and I said enough is enough. Wouldn't it be great that for every pound Amalia gains, I loose one? If there were any justice in the world that is how it would work. As it is I can definitely pinch an inch (or more) around my belly, and something tells me that Dara Torres doesn't have rolls of backfat when SHE puts on her bathing suit. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have had seconds of those BBQ ribs, they are now on my babyback ribs.

I figured it was time to get back on the horse, meaning in my running shoes. I was actually scared to start. I remember how hard it was to start running again last time, how painful and demoralizing. I figured, this time, I didn't let myself get that far gone, I was still doing my non-impact exercise, and have been doing that for the last several weeks, running should be no problem. Nope. Sorry, try again. It was just as hard, painful and demoralizing this time. I made it 2.5 miles at 6 mph and it was a constant conversation with myself of "that's it, one more foot in front of the other" for 25 minutes. Not the most stimulating conversation to have with one's self. But the only way to make it easier is to keep doing it.
Since they are all napping (Chris included) I should probably go for another round of treadmill punishment. BLERG!

3 Comments:

Blogger KMW said...

I hear you! But I have actually been runnings somewhat consistently the last few months,and it does get better. Too bad the weight still is not going away and faster.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, you'll be hitting the lakefront path before you know it. You rule!!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice -- you're a tough cookie. The first steps are always the hardest! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you'll be feeling great before you know it.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home