Thursday, July 24, 2008

This Dinosaur is Happy

No I'm not referring to how old Chris is now. Domingo is picking up English at an alarming rate! I'm going to just chalk it up to a love of language, it's not like we are trying to get him to speak in English, but he hears us and is just picking it up.
This afternoon, Domingo said to me "Este dinosaurio esta contento. Esta contento con sus dientes." I thought it was really cute, so I told Chris. I handed him the dinosaur in question and I have to admit, he looks pretty happy, and his teeth may very well be the reason. Then I left the room and Chris yelled for me to come back in. He asked me if Domi had said that phrase in Spanish or English, I said Spanish. Then Chris told Domi to say what he just said. Domi looked up and said "Dis deenosaur ees hoppy". He has a bit of a SloPoke Gonzalez accent, but it's definitely English.
I have to admit, it's pretty cute. There is no use trying to fight it, and I don't really want to, I just hope that I have enough patience and energy to keep up with the Spanish. It's difficult enough when both parents speak the language to keep it up throughout childhood. I remember my brother having to go away to Paraguayan language boot camp because he just did not speak Spanish at all. I guess that's always an option when the time comes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home