Wednesday, July 09, 2008

22 monthday!



Believe me when I say that this post was being composed in my head two days ago, and I'm just now able to get pen to computer. Domingo you turned 22 months this month, and I can't believe it! Actually, I had it in my head that you and your hermanita would be 22 months apart, so in my mind you already turned 22 months, and I was expecting 23!
There has been a change or two around here this past month, and you've handled them all with aplomb.


You have been such a superbaby when it comes to your new little sister. You smile and laugh and coo at her. Sometimes you get a little wild and reckless around her (the other day you accidentally kicked her in the head) but in general you are terrific. You are such a good big brother, and even though I was a little worried about you, I knew that you would be great.



I know that you get a little jealous, like when I have her in the Bjorn and you want oopa too. But it's all part of the process of learning how to deal with others and how to be patient.
We've both been super lucky to have Papa around these last few weeks, and you and he have been spending loads of time together which is awesome. Every morning Daddy-Domi time continues and you guys hang out, play, take walks, watch "fotos" (what you call little movies on the computer or t.v.) and read lots of books. You have been swimming in abuela's pool with Papa almost every day we were there and have really gotten pretty good! I remember last summer you were more than just a little cautious, and now we have to hold you back and to get you out requires more than just a little negotiation, and often ends in tears, and not just from Mama.


This past month you've gotten a little clingier, a little whinier, and a little more apt to cry when there is really nothing wrong.

I think this is in part you coping with your hermanita and the fact that the attention is no longer always on you, and in part due to the fact that you are only 22 months old. You are still just a baby, and are right in the heartland of the super-needy 18-24 month stage. We are doing our best to let you know how much we love you, and that you are still the king of the castle, but I know it's hard.
Other than that, you are still just as wonderful and amazing as ever.



We've stopped counting the words you know because there are so many. You speak in phrases and sentences now and repeat just about everything we say. (See the video post from a few days ago for proof!) You are picking up more English, which I suppose is fine, although its very important to me that Spanish stay with you as long as possible, and hopefully forever.
You are still pretty shy around strangers and in big groups of people, but cut loose when it's just us, or when you are around the primas. It becomes a shouting match of who can be the loudest, run the fastest and eat the most dessert. Sorry fella, but they have you beat on all fronts by a country mile!

You are becoming such a sweet and wonderful little boy. You are so big and talkative and fun, I have to keep reminding myself that you are still only 22 months after all! But remember no matter how big you get, how fast you can run or how many words you learn, you'll still be my baby no matter what.


Love,
Mama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home