Saturday, March 10, 2007

On being "the mommy"



My darling Domi, you turned six months old on Wednesday. I can hardly believe it, you are half a year old, where did the time go? You did so much this past month it's really incredible. You had a whole bunch of firsts (first plane trip, first glimpse of the ocean, first solid food, first cold), and continue to grow and talk and watch this crazy world around you. You are still getting used to eating cereal, and soon we'll get to try other things like fruits and vegetables. We made it to one of our "unofficial" goals and nursed/pumped for 6 months! You are a champion eater, so I know the solids will be no problem, and we'll just take the nursing a day at a time from here on out.
You are getting to be such a good sitter, and are rolling all over the place! You continue to amaze me with what a mellow child you are. (I shouldn't jinx us right?) During those first few months, I must admit, I thought you were going to be a very demanding and high needs child. But you shocked us all when at about 3 or 4 months you turned a corner and became this really mellow baby, especially when it counts. On the plane, in restaurants, when we are out with friends, and when we have people over, you are perfectly content to just look around and watch what happens. You don't fuss or cry when you take a tumble from sitting up to head on the floor, or if mommy accidentally pours water in your eyes at bath time (oops!). You really take it in stride, you blink the water away without a fuss, or roll to your side and find a toy to play with on the floor that you hadn't noticed until you toppled over.
I'm also amazed at how you've handled this cold. You should be miserable, you have every right to be. But you are such a trooper, you only complain when it's time for sleep and because you are having trouble breathing, and you get a little crabbier than usual. That and when ever the evil nose sucker is out. But usually you just play and laugh and cough and sneeze and take it all in stride.
That brings me to the title of this post. I know when ever I was sick as a child, and even often as an adult, and I'll have to say, that wasn't very often, I would only want my mommy. For whatever primal reason, no one else would do. Last night for the first time in ages, (maybe because the Notre Dame basketball game was on, who knows?) Daddy came out of the bedroom and said he couldn't get you to go to sleep. I picked you up and not 2 minutes later, you were sound asleep. You just needed your mommy. And that person is me.
This realization fills me with wonder and amazement and a little anxiety too. Yes, I realized it when we found out we were pregnant with you. Yes, I realized it when we thought we were going to lose you. Yes, I realized it the day you were born. But, now I know you, I know what you like, what you don't. I see your little face every day and every night. We play and sing and laugh. When you are so sick and helpless, I feel this overwhelming sense of love and need to protect you and make you feel better. You are so sweet even when you are crabby you just put your head on my shoulder and stroke my arm until you fall asleep. It's something about seeing you this way, and taking care of you as a little person, that it really hit me, again, I'm your mommy. I will always take care of you, when you're sick, when you're well, when you fall down and hurt yourself, when you run around like a maniac. It's a bit daunting at times, but well worth it. I'm your mommy, and I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home