Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A first I would have rather done without...

Domingo is sick. He has his first cold. It is really sad. Domi was such a good sport this afternoon, Ana said he cried a little bit to get to sleep for his afternoon nap, but when I got home he looked at me through his bleary little eyes and smiled the sweetest smile and laughed. I almost started crying.
Chris is in there with him right now trying to get him to go to sleep. He's so tired, but can't get to sleep because he's so stuffy. I'm ready to lose my mind. I have to keep repeating to myself, "it's only a cold, it's only a cold", "everyone gets a cold, he'll be fine", but it's hard to remember that when he looks and sounds so miserable.
It's so annoying! I feel like since he's staying at home and not in day care, and he only gets breast milk, I should be guaranteed at least one year without a cold. I want my money back! Oh, I guess it doesn't work that way.
Also out the window goes the plan of putting him in his own room, at least for now. This does bring up some interesting thoughts however. I realize that to make this transition, everything has to be ideal- no teething, no colds, no weird new situations. But I'm finding myself finding every possible excuse to keep him in the bed with us. At first it was his age, then it was teething, then timing, I started work, he got his shots, we'd be out of town to my parents' house one weekend, then the next we would be at Chris's parents', then my parents', you get the picture.
So when we decided we'd make the move after the San Francisco treat, it seemed like the right thing to do. But then in SF Domi was having a hard time sleeping one night, (I think due to the time change and the famous overtired theory), I thought to myself, "I am not ready to let him cry". I know that the older he gets, the harder it will be if we decide to do it. I also know that it works, it really works, and it will probably mean less crying in the long run, than going to him every time he wakes up. But despite all that I know, I still feel like I'm not ready. And I know that this is not something we can try and then not follow through, that would just be a nightmare.
I never, ever thought I'd be a family bed proponent, but here we are 6 months to the day that Domingo was born (happy birthday little one- update to come when I'm not pulling my hair out) and he is still snuggling up next to us to go to sleep. He still waking up a few times every night, but he's eating less and less overnight, and I think pretty soon he may not have to eat at all at night. So family bed by default may not be so bad. We'll see how the cold goes, maybe we'll make the switch the weekend after next, after my sister and her kids come to visit and spend the night and we run our big race! or maybe not.

3 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I hear you! We're 10 months into the family bed (tried transitioning at 4 months and it just didn't feel right). It wasn't something I ever really thought I would want, but the alternative is just too tough for us (esp with the whole, teething, sick traveling, blah blah blah) and I've gotten so used to his little breath next to me at night. I'll miss it when he's in his own room!

Ethan's sick, too. Poor babies. I hope Domi's feeling better soon!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of being the overbearing older sister...
*Please* do not stress about your sleeping situation. He will eventually want to be in his own bed--and honestly, whatever guarantees YOU the most sleep at this point is the best arrangement! I could go off on a "how I miss those cozy, snuggly family bed days" but I will spare you and your readers...
just my $.02--
-JN

2:23 PM  
Blogger La. Sra. said...

So long as everyone is safe and its working for the three (or 4 if Oslo is OK with it too), then don't stress about it.

You'll make the transition when you know the time is right. Let Domi puke on the Naysayers.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home