Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Another milestone!

Baby's first ER visit. I would have much rather done without this milestone for quite some time, but as far as trips to the ER go, it could have been much worse. Ana called me at 5:00 and left a message on my cell phone that Domi was vomiting with diarrhea. Chris had told me this a few minutes before I got the message, (since he has his cell phone on and people can actually reach him!) but said she told him everything was fine.
I got home after a crazy commute due to the torrential rains that hit the city especially right by our place. I walked in and nearly passed out. Domingo looked like he was made of wax. He was so pale and cold, and just laid in Ana's arms like a rag doll. I picked him up and he didn't even acknowledge that I was holding him. After about 10 seconds of this, we decided, let's go to the ER!
A short car ride, about 10 calls to my brother-in-law pediatrician, and few small vomits later we were in the parking lot of Children's and Domingo was looking around talking cheerfully and several shades pinker than he was 15 minutes before. So I was all, let's go home, and Chris said no way, we didn't come all the way here just to turn around and go home, yet another call to Ian broke the tie and we went in to the ER. So we went into the hospital, got triaged, and were sent to "urgent care" which is apparently less critical than the emergency room. The doctor said that Domingo has a stomach bug, that will probably take a few days to get through his system, and the only worry is if he gets dehydrated. So now the trick is to get him to take the pedialite that he HATES, and make sure he doesn't loose too much fluid. Luckily today he slept in (6:30 a.m.), with a SUPER stenchy poop, but in good spirits. Ana said that he didn't have any more vomiting, and no diarrhea to speak of. Hopefully this is more of a 24 hour bug. I got home tonight and Domi was tired, but super smiley and happy to see me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Gustavo said...

Oh my god! I hope he didn't get it from something he ate in Boston. I'm glad that it was all fine, but that must have been really scary.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're lucky that Elena will take pedialyte, but on the days she can't drink b/c of being ill it can make it tough.

But we did find Jello-type cups at Walgreens that she did OK with and my mom decided to make Jello the old fashioned way when we needed it at their house one day.

What you can try doing is make Jello-o with clear pedialyte so you get the benefit and he doesn't have to drink it and you can flavor it anyway he likes. You still use the 1 cup of boiling water but the 1 cup of cold water sub with cold, clear/unflavored pedialyte.

I hope that can get him to take fluids in a not-so-fluid way. I'm glad he's better!!!

Enjoy the 4th!

La. Sra.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home