Saturday, November 22, 2008

The world according to Domi

More awesome things Domingo is saying:

"I can't take a nap mama, I'm awake."

When asked if he could hand me Amalia's paacifier: "But of course mama." ( this sounds so funny to me in Spanish) He also said it to abuela when she told him to drink his juice in the kitchen!
While we are in bed ready to sleep, he puts his hands on my face and asks me very sincerely "do you feel much better now?"

Finally as we all pile in bed ready fo sleep I say a prayer out loud that my tia may taught all of us when we were very young. It's kind of like a kiddie Hail Mary in Spanish. I remember knowing the words and reciting them before I knew what they meant, and inventing meanings for the words I didn't know when I was much older. "Sin pecado" means without sin, and I being such and innocent, angelic child, did not know the word for sin. I thought pecado must have something to do with fish, "pescado". So I always imagined a large marlin-esque fish in the middle of my prayers, and always wondered why the Virgin had to go without it. Until of course I learned what sin is, at the age of reason I suppose.
Even with that in mind, there is something so comforting about those old words, even just the rythym they make out, without even knowing what they mean, like a song or a drumbeat. The last few nights before we all close our eyes, and Domingo asks if I'm feeling much better, probably since I've finally stopped whining and nagging and complaining for once and am kissing everyone good night, warm among my little and big snuglets, Domingo has said the words to this prayer along with me, giving thanks for our day. And then we sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home