Friday, June 19, 2009

I just want to celebrate!

For lots of reasons!!
Mostly, Amalia turns one on Sunday. We had a really fun party at the Abuelo's house this past weekend. We (of course!) didn't have our camera, just the video, so I don't have pictures. Hopefully some of you who were there will forward your photos to me so I can post some soon.
But even MORE important that my second child turning one, I am DONE PUMPING!!! Oh my that feels good to type, and to say, and to think. Amalia will still nurse in the morning and at night as long as she wants (or as long as I can take it!) but I'm done nursing and pumping during the day!! We are using up the last remnants of my meager stock pile and mixing it with whole milk, and she has no problems drinking that at all.
The fact that I'm done, in all likelihood forever, pumping does not bring me even the slightest bit of wistful nostalgia. I am tempted to make a bonfire with my pump in style as the tinder, but I'm way too superstitious for that. So I'll just pack it up and put it away, somewhere I won't have to see it ever again!
I am pretty proud of the fact that for the second time I have fed my baby only breast milk for the first full year of her life. I don't want a medal or anything, but I just needed a minute to pat myself on the back. Don't worry I won't strain my arm.
The weaning process (which I know has already begun when she started solids) will continue and I'm sure be harder than with Domingo. For one, she doesn't seem to be as verbal as Domi was. She is doing lots of signs, but still only says mama and papa. And two, with D, I think ending nursing happened mostly because I was pregnant with Amalia and it was much more work for him to nurse then to ask for "leche en vaso". He was 16 and a half months and he was talking enough to very plainly ask for leche en vaso not leche mama. So we'll see how this goes, I'm sure there will be false starts, and I'm not under any illusions that the over night nursing will end any time soon, but the fact that there is an end somewhere in the not too distant future is something to celebrate!

Here are some ridiculous pictures I took in our failed attempt to go to the free day at the Shedd Aquarium yesterday. Annie Leibowitz I'm not.
I should have know something was up when at the parking lot, where they usually charge you 16 (they just raised it from 15! Darn city!) was changed to $19 cash only, and a red laser-lights scrolling sign blared out "NO REFUNDS! Expect long lines at the Shedd". Long lines, I assumed were 30-45 minutes to get in, waits for the dolphin show etc. No, these were 2 and a half hour lines to get IN. We decided, much to Domingo's disappointment, that 2+ hours in the (finally) sweltering Chicago humidity with 5 little kids was not going to happen. So we'll try again another day. I wonder what the lines look like today...

Amalia enjoys being a girl. Although she doesn't have enough hair to hold in her barrette.


Domi adores Charlotte. The only reason he didn't leave the park outside the aquarium in a fit of rage was because he and Charlie were holding hands chasing birds. Wait, actually, he did leave crying, because he had to give back a book of Charlotte's and because of extreme overtiredness!


Taking a break from chasing birds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home